Safety of Energy Drinks Called into Question After Several Deaths
A lawsuit was filed on Friday, October 19, 2012 against Monster Energy drinks in California state court. The complaint alleges Monster was responsible for the death of Anais Fournier, a 14 year old girl from Hagerstown, Maryland
Anais went into cardiac arrest after drinking two 24 ounce Monster drinks within a 24 hour period. An autopsy uncovered that Anais died of cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity that impeded her heart’s ability to pump blood.
Alarmingly, there appear be other people who have been injured by energy drinks. The Food and Drug Administration (“FDA”) announced last week that it has launched an investigation into Monster energy drinks after receiving reports of 5 deaths and a non-fatal heart attack that may be linked to the highly caffeinated beverage.
This lawsuit coupled with the FDA action is troubling. At this current time, energy drinks are not heavily regulated by the FDA. They are classified as dietary supplements, which are less strictly regulated by the FDA. Prompted by the recent discovery of the number of deaths, legislators are urging the FDA to close the loopholes that allow energy drinks to be sold without being proven as safe.
There are several different brands of energy drinks on the market which are virtually unregulated and possibly deadly. If you or a loved one has been injured after consuming an energy drink, please contact please contact Khorrami, LLP for a confidential consultation.